Thursday, March 10, 2011

I'm soooo wabi-sabi

I like to call my knitting skills "Wabi Sabi" because when I drop a stitch I keep going..when my finished product is mishapin, crooked, and goes from wide to narrow I don't fret! There is beauty in imperfection. That is the Japanese principle of wabi-sabi which values cracks and scratches over a shiny facade. Leonard Koren, author of a book on wabi-sabi, give this advice: "Pare down to the essence, but don't remove the poetry. Keep things clean and unencumbered but don't sterilize." I love that! My mom used to say, "Sherry you really don't like tedious tasks do you?" Nope! My husband says,"so you can do things in half the time that I can but when I do it, the job is done perfectly!" So? I have no use for perfection...there is too much living to do, too many things to marvel at, places to go. Don't get me wrong, I admire people that are really good, experts maybe, at what they do whether at work or play, it's just not me! I am perfectly, unperfectly wabi-sabi and proud of it. What about you? I probably mispelled a word in this post....not worried.. you will figure it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment