Monday, May 16, 2011

Gabbing Green with Sherry: Can Houston Go Green?

I have to admit when I heard that the “Going Green with Yolanda Green” show was cancelled my heart skipped a beat! What? Are we going backwards or forwards with the “Green” movement? Yolanda has done so much to bring sustainable businesses, ideas and action to the forefront in Houstonians lives, how could this be happening? I have customers all the time visiting or moving from Colorado, Austin, LA and other “Green” cities, they are often surprised there are not more stores in Houston like One Green Street. Since opening the store I have met many wonderful people like myself, eager to change the world, especially Houston. We want to help people, we care for our friends, neighbors and the city we live in, we have educated ourselves on the dangers of certain chemicals in the food we eat, the products we put on our body and the air we breathe. I struggle daily with finding ways to let Houston know about One Green Street so that we can continue to grow, prosper and share all I have learned. I am a fighter but I cannot do it alone! When shows like “Going Green” get cancelled and “Green” businesses in Houston are fighting daily to stay around I think we need to take a closer look at which direction we are truly moving…and if Houston and Houstonians can really “Go Green.” If you believe in living a healthy lifestyle, that our planet and our people are suffering you obviously support One Green Street and our “Green” community. How can you then, help Houston and Houstonians realize the importance of “Going Green.” Vote with your dollars, use your voice, share your experiences, and patronize triple bottom line businesses on a regular basis. If each of you were to share your One Green Street experience with just one person, a big difference could be made in the future of our store and other’s like us. Let me be clear about something...my window washers make more money than I do a month. It is not as much about money for me as it is about creating value and inspiring change in my community and the world! I humbly say “I need your help!” It is time we put Houston on the map as a sustainable, healthy city where we, our children and our children’s children will live long, healthy, happy lives! Let’s move FORWARD, together!

No comments:

Post a Comment