Saturday, May 28, 2011

My Trip to the EcoCleaners!

I stopped taking my clothes to the cleaners a couple of years ago knowing the toxins they use could make me and my family very sick. What did I do for 2 years? Well...only when necessary would I hang dry & break the iron out, but mostly would look a little wrinkly at times.Today I made a great discovery, EcoCleaners on Westheimer in Houston. I have driven by many times wondering if they really are "Eco" or just greenwashing, so I finally stopped in today with 3 dresses that I refuse to iron and would look horrible wrinkled. I entered with my mental checklist: 1.Cleanliness  2. Friendliness  3. Smells   4.Knowledgeable employees 5. authenticity  The result of my visit is 5 stars, a check for each mental category! Glenda and her assistant were very friendly and I immediately said. "Hello, It is my first time here, what makes you a Eco Cleaners?"
Glenda smiled and began to tell me they do NOT use Perc which most cleaners use and is a known carcinogen but instead they use Hydrocarbon which is a much safer choice. She said they have been in business for 12 years and are the only Eco-friendly cleaners in Houston. I told her she was very knowledgeable and she replied "I have been to workshops and classes on the dangers of Perc and how to work with non-toxic products in the cleaning business."  Wow! I was getting more and more impressed. Perchloroethylene ("perc") is a Volatile Organic Solvent that could not only be hazardous for us as customers but think about the employees who breathe this toxic solvant everyday!
Let's talk cost because some people are turned off before even investigating anything eco-friendly due to the myth that the cost is higher or even double. I asked Glenda how much my summer dress would cost me to clean minus the toxins :0) $7 was her reply! Hey, that is not bad, they even do men's shirts for 99 cents.
They just got a new customer in me and I hope you will check out the EcoCleaners near you, support local and make a healthy choice for you and your family!

No comments:

Post a Comment